[NBLUG/talk] Partition Recovery tools

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Dec 7 20:10:35 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:05:51PM -0800, Harry Heim wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know of a good/free GNU  HD/partition table recovery tool?
> I found  "TestDisk", http://www.cgsecurity.org/.  I have a Knoppix
> CD(3.3) and it has TestDisk on it but I think its a bit old(v4.2)?  I
> need to run some good HD recovery utility(UFS filesystem) on my FreeBSD
> 4.10 machine as I blew away the partition table.  So far, I have not
> damaged any of my RedHat Linux boxes this way, so this new to me.

Oooh, maybe if I type fast I'll beat Kyle to the answer.
The tool you want is 'gpart' for "Guess Partition"  It's included with
Knoppix.

Kyle covered this in one of his talks on Knoppix.  And in, fact has done
a nice writeup here:
<http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/02/knpxhks_1.html>

Drop by irc.freenode.net #nblug if you get stuck.

good luck!

-troy