[NBLUG/talk] Linux for my grand kid's computer

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Sat Dec 11 12:01:56 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 06:46:48AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:

> The bottom line is that I am looking for a no frills desktop (maybe a
> notebook version too that has WiFi support) that will not require too
> many admin skills (you know those phone calls - "Grand dad, my computer
> is not working!  Can you come over and fix it?").
>
> Suggestions welcomed......

A few months back looked around a bit for live cd's for kids which I
could give to my niece.  I found this:
http://www.osef.org/

Which has tons of stuff on it, though much of it was hit and miss in
regards to quality.  Some things just plain didn't work.  But there is
some good software on there, and the livecd format gives you an easy way
to try it out.  If you go with a Debian based distro for your grandson
(Like Ubuntu, a suggestion I heartily second) than much of the software
should be apt-getable.

There's a long list of Linux Live cd's here:

Some things that should definitely be installed:
Frozen-bubble: http://www.frozen-bubble.org/ (not just for kids!)

Some of the apps here might be appropriate:
http://ww2.tux4kids.com/tux4kids/

Depending upon the age of your grandson, Tux Paint would be a good
choice as well.  Tux Paint is a really easy to use (big, colorful
buttons etc.) paint program that younger kids seem to really enjoy.  I
should mention that Tux Paint is written by Bill Kendrick who sometimes
posts to this list, and who also gave us a nice Gimp talk a year or so
ago.

-troy