[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Dec 16 20:43:17 PST 2004

On 16 Dec 2004 at 20:18, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Any help for rescuing my reiserfs disk?
>
> Did you try:
> reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/[your hard disk]

Basically reiserfsck quits when it gets an i/o error, so it won't
even test the disk completely, so there's no fixing it either.

I suppose I could copy the entire (225 gigabyte!) partition to
another hard disk, but I don't really know the best way to do that,
short of buying another maxtor drive, which I will never do. The
seagate drive I have is 200 gig. But any help would be appreciated,
since I am a newbie where it comes to using things like "dd" or any
other commands that might help me back up the drive. There seems to
be a massive amount of error on the drive.

Thanks,

Bob