[NBLUG/talk] grub menu will not load

Ryan Culley rculley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 16:47:35 PST 2004

Eureka!

knoppix at ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount -o rw /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
mount: only root can do that
knoppix at ttyp0[knoppix]$ su
root at ttyp0[knoppix]# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root at ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -o rw /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
root at ttyp0[knoppix]#
root at ttyp0[knoppix]# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda3 /dev/hda
Due to a bug in xfs_freeze, the following command might produce a segmentation
fault when /mnt/hda3/boot/grub is not in an XFS filesystem. This error
is harmless and
can be ignored.
xfs_freeze: specified file ["/mnt/hda3/boot/grub"] is not on an XFS filesystem
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /mnt/hda3/boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)   /dev/hda
root at ttyp0[knoppix]#

I have my lovely GRUB menu again.  I wonder what happened to it in the
first place.

Thanks for your help guys!
Ryan