[NBLUG/talk] iPlanet - the continuing saga (network stuff this time)

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Feb 2 15:10:04 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:01:03PM -0800, ac at sonic.net wrote:
} Great information - I hadn't thought of telnet.
}
} I do NOT see anything listening to port 8888 when using netstat -l, so it
} would appear that something is failing to run correctly.  The closest
} thing is:
}
} tcp	0	0 *:sunrpc	*:*	LISTEN

No that's port 111, that's the portmapper (needed for NIS, NFS,
automounter, etc).

} That's listed prior to launching ./startconsole to start the server, so I
} doubt that's it.
}
} Again, interesting idea with Telnet - when I run Apache, I can connect to
} port 80, but no luck with port 8888.  That would imply that the server
} isn't launching, even though no error messages are appearing.  I'll have
} to see if there's a log file somewhere.
}
} Thanks again for the help - any other suggestions?

I don't know anything about this program you are trying to run, but I've
seen other programs not start without any error messages - cups does
that if there is an error in the config file.

Try running "strace" in front of whatever command you are running.
It will spew.   When it stops look at the last few pages of spew for any
hints.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com