[NBLUG/talk] Network/Route config question

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Fri Feb 13 09:31:01 PST 2004

> I've just set up my home computer so that my desktop allows
> masquerading and acts as a gateway for my laptop.  After breaking and
> then reconfiguring my wireless card, the network configuration, etc.,
> etc., I've managed to get it working (including a propoer firewall! [I
> think...]).
>
> For some reason, every time I boot up the laptop, I cannot access  the
> internet through my desktop until I have typed the following
> command (with root privileges):
>
> route add default gw jupiter

The reason for this is that it's your "default route" -- i.e. the place
to send TCP/IP traffic if it isn't to an explicitly-known address (in
general, "the Internet" isn't filled with explicitly-known addresses,
so everyone points their default routes toward the Internet (or rather,
toward whatever network device gives them access to the Internet)).

> That adds a line to the output of 'route' that says:
>
> default         jupiter.daveNet 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
>
> This line is missing if you run route before running the 'route add... '
>  command.
>
> My question is:  In what configuration file does this default info
> belong, so I no longer have to type it in on the command line every
> time I boot?
>
> For the record, I'm running SuSE 8.2 with kernel version 2.4.20-4GB.
>
> Thanks for the help.

FWIW, I _didn't_ know the answer to this question... BUT:

   "Judge ME by the facts in my brain, do you?  MMMM... and
   well you should not!  For Google is my ally, and a mighty
   ally it is... Google reaches all things..."

   http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
   ALL the words:    suse file 8
   exact PHRASE:     default route
   AT LEAST one of:  config configuration

<X-Wing fighter rises out of the swamp...>   Hit #1 appears to
have the info you seek, young Jedi:

   http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/03/mmj_network80.html

"Beware... for if once you let others do your learning for you,
forever will it dominate your destiny!"

:)

- Steve S.

  P.S. -- Bookmark the Googlepage (if it's not already in your bookmarks)!
          It's a *VERY* useful page; IMHO the *most* useful single page
          on the entire Internet.