[NBLUG/talk] DNS server: Do I need my own server?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Feb 19 09:25:01 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:43:41AM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
} Hey.
}
} I recently got DSL from sonic with a static IP address, so I've set up
} a webserver and it's working great.  I decided I also might as well
} get a real domain name, since it would be cruel to make my mother
} memorize the numerical IP address.

I host half a dozen domain names from my DSL line.

} So I registered a domain name through godaddy.com and at the part of
} the form where you need to enter Domain Name Servers, I put the
} servers I use at sonic.  Well, it's been a few days and the new domain
} name does not resolve.  I called godaddy and was told that I need to
} have my own server running on my machine.

Godaddy doesn't offer DNS, many domain name registrars do.
One of the things to look for when shopping around.  I use
Godaddy only for one .us domain because the other places I
use don't offer .us domains.  Godaddy is cheap, but they
don't offer DNS or free forwarding.

Gandi.net will do DNS for free when you register with them.

} This feels like an ignorant question, but how come godaddy can't get
} the new domain name entered in sonic's server (which would then cause
} the name to propagate to other servers)?

Because only sonic controls sonic's servers.  You wouldn't want somebody
else messing with your server would you?

} As a follow-up question, if I do go ahead and set up DNS on my
} machine, what else do I need to do besides reset the server addresses
} I gave godaddy to get the new domain name to resolve?  And can anybody
} recommend a good document source for setting up a DNS server?

zoneedit.com will do DNS for free for you.   They have been reliable for
me.

The common program for running DNS is bind.  Bind has historically
been one of the biggest security holes on the internet.  You've been
warned.  There is also djbdns (http://www.nblug.org/dns.cgi).

If you want reverse DNS setup ONLY sonic can do that, because it's their
IP address.  Here's their webpage to do that:
https://ssl.sonic.net/sonic/pacbell-dns/

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com