[NBLUG/talk] DNS server: Do I need my own server?

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Thu Feb 19 13:08:01 PST 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 09:24 am, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:43:41AM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> } I recently got DSL from sonic with a static IP address, so I've set up
> } a webserver and it's working great.  I decided I also might as well
> } get a real domain name, since it would be cruel to make my mother
> } memorize the numerical IP address.
>
> I host half a dozen domain names from my DSL line.

Same here......  I got the block of 4 static IP's from Sonic recently and
loaded up one of the storage shelves in the garage with boxen.

> } So I registered a domain name through godaddy.com and at the part of
> } the form where you need to enter Domain Name Servers, I put the
> } servers I use at sonic.  Well, it's been a few days and the new domain
> } name does not resolve.  I called godaddy and was told that I need to
> } have my own server running on my machine.

If my memory serves me correctly you would have to have your domain hosted at
sonic for the domain to resolve.  Just pointing to Sonic's DNS is not going
to find your domain,  Sonic doesn't have your IP set in their DNS to point to
your domain.  Pay them a fee and their will gladly add you to their DNS and
point it at your IP.  OR, point the domain to YOUR IP address and run your
own nameserver.  That would be the Multihomed Domain product, $20+ initial
fee and 1.95 per month.  I have one of those with Sonic.

> Godaddy doesn't offer DNS, many domain name registrars do.
> One of the things to look for when shopping around.  I use
> Godaddy only for one .us domain because the other places I
> use don't offer .us domains.  Godaddy is cheap, but they
> don't offer DNS or free forwarding.

> Gandi.net will do DNS for free when you register with them.

Hmmm, I have multiple domains with both Gandi and Godaddy.  Godaddy doesn't
offer DNS or forwarding?  They offer hosting.  I have 3 or 4 domains from
godaddy pointed at my DNS servers at the end of my DSL connection.  You have
to dig a little to customize the nameserver hosts and set them to your DNS
server.  Godaddy is kewl.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer