[NBLUG/talk] Attempting an "ancient hardware" install...

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 21 08:40:04 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 07:45, Andrew wrote:
> Lincoln Peters wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:21:02 -0800:
>
> > 3. There is a port on the back that looks like it would be used
> > to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to the SE.  I have a dual 5.25"
> > disk drive on an Apple IIe that looks like it would be
> > compatible (but it's a low-density drive).
>
> That *is* a floppy port, but you really, *really* do NOT want to
> hook those floppies up to it. See the first "Caution" near the
> bottom of this page:

I figured it wouldn't be worth it, but it didn't hurt to check.

> http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se.shtml
>
> You can't install linux on the SE anyway. Its processor is a
> 68000, which isn't supported. Sorry. It could still be useful
> running an old Mac OS, though. Or, if you want to kill a
> perfectly good machine, you could turn it into a Macquarium (link
> on the above page).

As it turns out, I couldn't even get a CD-ROM ISO image for
Debian/m68k.  jigdo-lite gave me the message: "120 files could not be
downloaded!  This should not happen!"

Maybe I could just find some kind of terminal application for early
versions of MacOS and use a null modem serial cable to use it as a
"dumb" terminal for one of my existing Debian boxes (all i686).

I guess that this eliminates the last tiny chance that I would be
bringing this computer to the InstallFest.  Although I'll probably still
show up without it (and probably try to help one chronic attendee who I
happen to know will be showing up again with the same computer as at the
last InstallFest).

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>