[NBLUG/talk] Re: [Balug-talk] Californians can get $$$ from MS in class action settlement

Paul Miller pmiller at innercite.com
Thu Feb 26 18:10:18 PST 2004

On Feb 26, 2004, at 9:50 AM, Roger Chrisman wrote:

> On Thursday 26 February 2004 10:35, Jed Donnelley wrote:
>> Before anybody get's too excited, I think it's important to point
>> out that all you really have the opportunity to get is $100 credit
>> towards the purchase of future Microsoft software, not cash.
>
> I read the legal documentation and believe the above to be the likely
> average
> real outcome of how most people will use the vouchers. And for this
> reason I
> find the settlement agreement, and in an IT state, too, to be
> extreamely
> insulting.
>
> However, the settlement's proposed vouchers themselves DO NOT
> designate what
> brandname of software or hardware they be used to buy. *Someone*
> inclined to
> do so could,
> 1) buy hardware from Apple,
> or
> 2) buy hardware that does not come bundled with any Microsoft OS or
> software
> *and* spend the requisite time it takes to learn how to install and use
> Linux. Discretionary time most Californians simply *do not have*.
> 3) buy non-Microsoft brand software and run it on Linux.
>
> The *infuriating insult* of the settlement is that it, *if I remember
> correctly* and I might not, does not allow the vouchers to be used for
> purchasing IT consulting services which really the average computer
> consumer
> needs to buy if he wants to get Linux running without spending a great
> deal
> of his time on figuring Linux out.
>
> I am insulted and disgusted with the settlement. Rather than curtail
> Microsoft's monopoly it simply strengthens it. Not justice. Not
> helpful. Not
> right.
>
> It makes an insulting charade of California and our legal system.
>
> Angry Californian (and Linux user),
>
> Roger

I too, am angry and frustrated by the situation.  However, I have found
that by associating myself with open source, I can direct my energy
into helping those who are looking for alternatives.  I have found the
OpenOffice.org API a treasure chest of possibilities for the future.
My purpose in promoting the Microsoft California Settlement is to learn
how to reach those who are most affected, Windows users.  The people I
have met so far are quite surprised that someone would show them some
options.

Hopefully, there are a few others who feel the same and will improve on
my primitive grassroots effort.  I am a novice at this.  Perhaps others
will do better.

Best to all,
Paul Miller