[NBLUG/talk] Blue Screen of... SuSE, part 2

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Feb 28 11:29:00 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:28:21AM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> This may not be SUSE's fault, it may be a gnome thing.  Try to create a
> new user, then login as that user and startx.
>
> Report back what happens.
>
> > My problem reocurred, so I'm following up with the error messages that
> > were printed to the console, and a possible clue.  When I boot the
> > computer, I no longer get a graphical login screen, but it defaults to
> > the blue console with a login propmt.  Maybe I've broken gdm somehow?
> >
> > Here's as much as I could get off the screen last time this happened
> > (any typos are mine, as I could'nt cut & paste):
> >
> > FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=0
> > Window manager warning: Broken client! Window 0x1a00026 (mutt) changed
> > client leader windo or SM client ID

Thanks for the help.  I don't doubt that this might be a gnome
problem, or more likely, I've mis-tweaked some config setting...

I created a user named 'test' and logged in as that user.  I then ran
'startx' and got the following response:

tee: /home/test/.X.err: Permission denied

I then checked and noticed I'd somehow made the home folder owned and
grouped as root, so I changed that to test and users, respectively.
Now when I run startx, I get dumped to an FVWM desktop.  I also
received the following in a window labeled 'x message':

Symbol drmAgpUnbind from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol drmAgpUnbind from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is unresolved!
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "pc/xfree86" for symbols include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/kwintv, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list!

FWIW, when I log in as myself, and run startx, I get the gnome desktop.

Thanks, dave.