[NBLUG/talk] Cannot get XWindows to start

HarryH forHarryH at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 22:56:01 PST 2004

Hi,
The other day, I downloaded from Red Hat Network the latest kernel version for my RH 7.2 system.  It wanted 23MB on my "/" root file system (/dev/hda5) that was not there.  I moved /tmp and /sbin to another filesystem to create the space.  I downloaded the kernel OK and it said "############# 100% complete" but stalled on "sh: /sbin/grubby" not found.  Obviously, it was in another file system.  I restored the /tmp and /sbin and tried to reboot to see if I got the new kernel.  The old kernel was still there and working as the new one was not successfully installed.  The XWindows (Gnome/KDE) did not come up.  I noticed the "/" file system was 100% full even though it had some space.  I removed the /tmp files to another file system and that freed up 12MB on "/", but df -h still says it is at 100% capacity.  I tried to do a "startx"  and it gave me the following:

  Could not init font patch element unix/:7100, removing from list!
  Fatal server error:
  could not open default font 'fixed'
 XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X Server ":0.0" after 0
 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

I did a echo $DISPLAY and it was empty.

I am wondering if the 100% full means it cannot/will not use the "/" file system and therefore not XWindows boot?  It seems to ignore the 12MB space.

I have just installed a second HD and can move some directories to it to give "/" more space?  Also, how do I run the /sbin/grubby as it will not let me "execute a binary file"

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,
Harry