[NBLUG/talk] Disk Encryption Meeting

Jake Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Jan 2 08:12:04 PST 2004

Hi all,

I am planning on giving the February talk about disk encryption and I
wanted to get a feel for what people were interested in hearing about.

I am primarily going to discuss loop-aes used in tandem with gpg and the
security aspects of disk crypto.

I can go give the basics of disk-crypto (in Gnu/Linux) for people in
need of a refresher. However I want to keep the talk to a higher level
of actually _doing_ something with an understanding of crypto. Theory is
great but I also want people to be able to leave the talk with some
actual ability to do something they may not have been able to do before.

So what are you interested in hearing about?

Encrypted root file systems?
Encrypted individual partitions?
Encrypted files?
Encrypted backups?
Encrypted swap?
Why/Who/What it's useful for?
Real world situational use?
Static versus being built as a module?
Distros you might want to know how to do this for?

I can even get into talking about stego-filesystems as well but it's
really its very own talk.

So please send me some feedback about what you want to hear soon so I
can start working on this talk.

Also I would like to get more people involved with gpg key signings and
it would be really great if people want to do so before/after the
meeting.

Because after all, what kind of liberal who uses Gnu/Linux doesn't want
to have a gpg key signing party? ;-)

Best,
--
Jake Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>