[NBLUG/talk] Printer setup in Debian/unstable

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 2 12:48:00 PST 2004

Maybe I've been spoiled by the system administration tools provided by
Red Hat Linux, but I am having difficulty setting up some of the
essential services on my new Debian/unstable system.  Fortunately,
because of the new year, I don't yet need all of those services for a
week or two.

I seem to be having difficulty making my printer (an HP LaserJet 4L)
work correctly.  I get pages of PostScript instead of a readable
printout, but my immediate problem is to make it stop printing those
pages of PostScript.  Although every printing tool I've tried (including
the "lpq" command) indicates that there are no jobs in the print queue,
the printer is still receiving data, and I can only stop it from
printing more pages of PostScript by either unplugging it or removing
the paper tray.

I am left with two problems that I need to figure out:
1. Why would the printer be receiving data via the parallel port if
there are no print jobs?
2. How do I stop whatever is sending data to the printer?

I'm using CUPS on Debian/unstable, up-to-date as of 12:45pm today.

I still need to figure out how to make it print anything other than
ASCII text, but I think I can handle that if I find the solution to the
aforementioned problem.

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>