[NBLUG/talk] Disk Encryption Meeting

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Jan 2 13:27:00 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 04:53:32PM +0100, Jake Appelbaum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning on giving the February talk about disk encryption and I
> wanted to get a feel for what people were interested in hearing about.
>
> So what are you interested in hearing about?

Hey, Jake-

It's all interesting, but my strongest interests are:

> Encrypted individual partitions?
> Encrypted swap?
> Static versus being built as a module?

Some other things I'd like to know:

What is the performance overhead of running, say, encrypted swap/home?

If time permits, what other (non-obvious) things should we concerned
about when trying to secure our data.  For instance, when first thinking
about loopback encrypted filesystems, my brain totally overlooked the
necessity of encrypting swap.

Thanks, this is something I've wanted to get into, but have been putting
off.  (at least not having a crypto fs makes me watch my laptop better!)

-troy