[NBLUG/talk] Module loading/unloading in Debian?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 07:31:01 PST 2004

I'm responding to this message now because I didn't get a chance to
restart my computer and try it until now.

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 22:29, E Frank Ball wrote:
> } Having built a 2.6 kernel with lots of modules this afternoon, it has
> } become quite clear that I'm missing something about handling modules in
> } Debian.  I find that I have to use the "modprobe" command more than a
> } few times whenever I start the computer just so that my floppy drive,
> } Ethernet card, etc., will function when I start any real work.
>

> Add the names of the required modules to /etc/modules and debian will
> load them at boot time.

That looks like what I needed to know.  Although it still seems to me
that the kernel is supposed to be able to load and unload modules
automatically.  Is there any reason that such a thing would not work
correctly for these modules?

I just restarted the computer, and the module loading seemed to work.
Although I found that I forgot to tell it to load one or two modules, I
can fix that easily enough.

By the way, the 2.6 kernel does seem noticeably faster than the old 2.4
series.

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>