[NBLUG/talk] Device mounting problems

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Wed Jan 7 02:06:01 PST 2004

Running RH with complied 2.6.0 kernel

I have a USB 128mb flash drive (Lexar Jump drive) that I want to plug in and
use.  I plug it in and put the line in /etc/fstab telling the /dev/sda1 device
to mount to the /mnt/usbstick directory with the vfat file type system.  Then
I run the command: mount usbstick in the /mnt directory and get the following
error: mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Overriding the /etc/fstab and expanding the mount command to: mount -t vfat
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick produces the same error (in other words the command
syntax and fstab info are right).  I compiled the kernel to include
verbose usb debug info and when I tail the /var/log/messages file (kernel
output) I see this after plugging the device in:
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port
2, assigned address 3
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel: usb 3-2: Product: LEXR PLUG DRIVE
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel: usb 3-2: Manufacturer: LEXR PLUG DRIVE
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel: usb 3-2: SerialNumber:
000000018452599171200000000000000000000000000
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devices
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel:   Vendor: LEXAR     Model: DIGITAL FILM
Rev: /W1.
Jan  6 22:01:49 shadoweyez kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access

Is there a special kernel option I am not compiling, and what does it mean
about "invalid block device".  The device file sda1 appears like a normal block device in a /dev listing.

BTW, I use the same procedure for the default kernel for RH 8, 2.18-14, and the flash drive works as normal after issuing the mounting command (works on many windows systems as well).  BTW, why do all the guides for this say to use sda1 (my system has no SCSI hardware).  Does one need to use this sda1, or can it be mounted "on" another device? What can I do to make it work in 2.6.0?

TIA,
ShadowEyez