[NBLUG/talk] Play a sound when the screensaver terminates?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 14:36:02 PST 2004

I'm trying to discourage a cat who is developing the habit of nesting on
a computer desk, leaving fur all over the mousepad and occasionally
stepping on the keyboard.  Since the mouse moves every time she jumps on
the desk, I figure that if I could set up the screensaver to play a WAV
file (probably /usr/share/sounds/error.wav) whenever it deactivates, I
might be able to scare the cat away when she jumps on the desk.  As long
as I let all users know that this is going to happen (i.e. I don't scare
*them* away), I suspect that I can train the cat to avoid the computer.
Once so trained, I should be able to turn off the sound effect so that
it doesn't annoy the users.

Does anyone know of a way to do what I'm describing?  The computer is
running Red Hat Linux 9.0 with KDE 3.1.3.

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>