[NBLUG/talk] Video-firewire

Cal Herrmann calz at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 12:03:00 PST 2004

Another step in my video-learning!  How to connect the camera via firewire is
puzzling me. Following an instruction I found (for Mandrake, for my portable
fujitsu,) I did:
cat /proc/bus/1394/devices
and the camera (canon Elura40, with AV>DV set) was found and correctly
identified. but
cat /proc/scsi/scsi doesn't see it.  Sees only the CD-rom.
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd
says the dev doesn't exist (it is defined in fstab).
When I plug in an external firewire drive (Western Digital) it mounts, is
recognized, and seen in /proc/scsi/scsi.
If I then simply pull the firewire from the WD drive and plug into the
camera, it is still mounted, but (KFMExec, from the mnt/hd icon) says
"Retrieving data from devices is not supported."
If I umount the HD and mount the camera I get:
"mount: you must specify the filesystem type" Is this the problem?  What
would be the filesystem type for the camera?
What don't I understand now?
Thanks, Cal