[NBLUG/talk] Play a sound when the screensaver terminates?

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Fri Jan 9 12:06:01 PST 2004

Q:  Should this thread be moved to /noise?

> Sadism takes many forms. Someone mentioned people who understand cats
> needing a psychiatrist. I think catlovers aren't the ones needing a
> psychiatrist.
>
> What I don't understand, if you don't like cats, why do you keep them?

Lots of reasons... a few that spring to mind:
   got mice (that'd be tiny little mammals that get into foodstuffs, for
      all the geeks here... ;-)
   Spouse/S.O./etc who's a serious cat-fancier (think "package deal")
   Kid who wants cat(s) & parent who caves in
   tastes good saute'd with broccoli & peanuts

Me, I rather like cats for themselves, but I just ADORE teasing those who
idolize/idealise cats.  Cats are small predators; some are rather social
animals, some are less so.  Most cats are poor subjects for "training,"
which makes some people think they're "dumber than dogs"; others note that
many people are virtual servants to their cats, leading to the "who owns
who" question & whether cats are "smarter than people."

I own cats.  I'm the boss of them, NOT vice versa.  But, I recognize that
my cat will NEVER "obey" me the way my Laborador Retriever will; if I'm
not willing to work within the limits of the animal, I shouldn't own it,
and if I want more "trained" behaviors from my cat I need to invest MUCH
more time/effort/energy in getting those.

IMHO, those "cats own people" deals are simply where the people involved
have worked out a different set of limits (that they accept from the
animal) and effort (that they are willing to invest in the animal) than
me.

<shrug>  My 0.02

- Steve S.