[NBLUG/talk] HD capacity problems

HarryH forHarryH at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:30:04 PST 2004

Hi,
On its label, I have a Fujitsu Ltd HD, model MPB3043AT that says it has C=8940 H=15 and S=63 for a total capacity of 4.3GB.  My Solaris 9 install says its really a 4092 with a 2GB capacity.  I used Partition Magic 7 and tried several different partition types and it would never give me more than 2,014MB whether FAT32, 16 or Linux or NTFS.  RPM says its a 2GB with C=1023, H=64, S=63.  No matter what partition tool I use, its just a 2GB drive?  I am using LBA mode and I checked out the Fujitsu Web site and the model number does match their specs.

This leads me to believe that either it was mislabeled by the factory and is 2GB and not a 4GB, or somehow it only sees 2GB for some reason.  I have deleted all partitions and restarted from scratch but still only 2GB - even without partitions.  Any possible reasons that it only sees 2 out of 4GB?  I thought of doing a "format" but read that is a real no-no as it may really screw up the HD.  The Solaris 9 documentation talks about a "disk label" and how to "restore it".  That may be my next try.

Thanks,
Harry