[NBLUG/talk] Moving permissions

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Tue Jan 20 10:06:01 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:46:53PM -0800, Daniel Kinon wrote:
> If he doesn't want to bother with adding new users and all that...
> wouldn't it be simpler to just move the files over and then, as root, do
> a recursive chown into that directory something like this.
>
> say the user is me
> chown -R dan:dan directory/
>
> or is that a no no?

it all depends on what is trying to be accomplished.  if you don't care
about who owns the files, and you just want the data, then sure - that would
work.  to me, however, the question wasn't clear enough to indicate if
permissions and/or ownership needed to be preserved in the copy from the old
to the new machine, hence my suggestions.

-dustin