[NBLUG/talk] Wireless wobbles... restricted mode - Sharedkey vs Open with Orinoco Gold

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Jan 23 23:07:00 PST 2004

I purchased an Orinoco Gold pcmcia card for my spare laptop..no more netgear
crap.. no more wires in the house except the access point in the closet.

anywho - The box is an IBM Thinkpad 770 running Fedora Core 1.  Pop the card
in - recognized immediately by pcmcia_cs.. .no problem.  Set the parameters
in the interface configuration files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
and the damn thing won't connect to the Linksys WAP11 in the house for the
life of me.  I have another WAP/ROUTER I set open and it connects without a
hitch as a dhcp client.

I have things buttoned down on my internal WAP11,
WEP=128
Authtype = Sharedkey
MAC Filtering
etc.

After alot of hair pulling I noticed that if I changed the WAP11 from shared
key to BOTH (Open and Shared Key) I could connect with the Orinoco.  I would
rather not do this on the internal WAP11.

I read the iwconf man page and googled to death.  The question is how to put
the card in restricted mode.

Here are the parameters for red hat's ifup-wireless scriptlet;

# Configure wireless network device options.  See iwconfig(8) for more info.
# Valid variables:
#    MODE: Ad-Hoc, Managed, etc.
#    ESSID: Name of the wireless network
#    NWID: Name of this machine on the network.  Hostname is default
#    FREQ: Frequency to operate on.  See CHANNEL
#    CHANNEL: Numbered frequency to operate on.  See FREQ
#    SENS: Sensitivity threshold for packet rejection.
#    RATE: Transfer rate.  Usually one of Auto, 11, 5, 2, or 1.
#    KEY: Encryption key for WEP.
#    RTS: Explicit RTS handshake.  Usually not specified (auto)
#    FRAG: Fragmentation threshold to split packets.  Usually not specified.
#    SPYIPS: List of IP addresses to "spy" on for link performance stats.
#    IWCONFIG: Extra parameters to pass directly to IWCONFIG
#    IWPRIV: Extra parameters to pass directly to IWPRIV

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer