[NBLUG/talk] Wireless wobbles... restricted mode - Sharedkey vs Open with Orinoco Gold

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Sat Jan 24 11:46:02 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:06:57PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> I read the iwconf man page and googled to death.  The question is how to put
> the card in restricted mode.

hey mark,

not sure if this will help, but here's how i've got my redhat8 laptop setup
with an orinoco silver card and a linksys BEFW11S4:

/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts:

  case "$ADDRESS" in
  # Pick up any Access Point, should work on most 802.11 cards
  essidany,*,*,*)
      INFO="Wavelan IEEE example (Lucent default settings)"
      ESSID="BLAHBLAHBLAH"
      MODE="Managed"
      KEY="s:BLAHBLABLAH"
      ;;
  esac

then, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

GATEWAY=
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=BLAHBLAHBLAH
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
ONBOOT=no
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
NAME=
DOMAIN=
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
ESSID=BLAHBLAHBLAH
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
KEY=BLAHBLAHBLAH
RATE=2Mb/s

obviously, fill in the "BLAH" stuff with your particulars.  this has worked
for me...and yes - i spent a lot of time making all this work properly...i'm
sure some of the info is redundant (ie, things config'd in both ifcfg *and*
wireless.opts), but after i got it working, i opted not to touch too many
things.

hth...good luck!

-dustin