[NBLUG/talk] Newbie questions :-)

Mooleshwar Singh msingh781 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:02:02 PST 2004

----Original Message Follows----
From: jgarden2000 at juno.com
To: talk at nblug.org
Subject: [NBLUG/talk] Newbie questions :-)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:23:57 -0800

Hi!

I'm a relatively new Linux convert and former Windows power user. I
jumped into Linux with both feet about a month ago and am having a blast.
:-) I've got a 2.4 GHz dual-boot machine currently running both Knoppix
and SuSE (you're a real Linux geek if you're dual-booting multiple Linux
distros, hehe).

A finally basic questions:

If a full-screen application (like some of the games) locks up, (or at
least appears to lock up either because I can't find the right keystrokes
or it doesn't like my keyboard) how can I force-quit if I can't get to
xkill? I know how to get back to the root console, but don't know what to
do next other than try going to runlevel 3 and then back to runlevel 5,
and to reboot if that doesn't work.

Get Back to the console.
Type:   ps -ax |grep $program_name

Note: $program_name is the name of the program u were running or any text
related to the program u were running.

Take note of the PID number.
Then type:  kill PID number or kill -9 Pid number
(-9 will kill by force)

Second, when I pull up a man page from the console (say, "man kill"), how
do I get out of it other than just killing the console? (Not a good thing
if you pull up a man page from the root console.)
just type q

Finally, if I can't figure out how to bypass my cheap ISPs proprietary
software, are there any local dial-up services under $15/month (we're
used to paying $12/month) that support Linux and Windows? (I saw the
mention of www.mygoboom.net, and I'm still not sure if I'm comfortable
trying it. I haven't had a chance yet to check out their site myself.)

Cant help u with this one

Good Luck
M.Singh

William