[NBLUG/talk] promotion for upcoming Linux InstallFest

Marcus marcus at computerkraft.com
Fri Jan 30 11:41:01 PST 2004

Hello,

I work as an assistant manager for the Sebastopol location of
Copperfield's, the independent bookstore, and I have an idea that may
help you promote your upcoming Linux Installfest event.

I am a new Linux user myself, and when recently searching the web for
local area users groups, I came across  the NBLUG website. After reading
up on the details on the installfest, I approached Copperfield's
management about the possibility of our sponsoring the event, and my
request was approved. (Copperfield's is often interested in promoting
events that help the local community, and the company has a fondness for
the Linux movement - all of our in-store computers run linux, from our
database search boxes, to our cash registers.)

I'm not sure exactly what this could entail yet; before proposing
anything too concrete, I wanted to ask this list if the idea seems
attractive. The main resource that we have to offer is publicity. We
engage with hundreds of customers everyday, and I'd love to hang some
flyers and just generally help spread news about the event. I'm also
optimistic about the idea of helping you recieve some local press
coverage, perhaps through the Bohemian.

In exchange, we'd love to have a small presence at the event, and
perhaps be allowed to sell O'Reilly books to interested attendees.
(Specifically, I was thinking of "Running Linux" and "Linux in a
Nutshell," both titles that have helped me a great deal.)

Does this sound like a good idea to any of you? If not, how can
Copperfield's be of help to you?

Thanks,
Marcus Estes