[NBLUG/talk] Sendmail/Postfix/qpoper

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Jul 23 14:44:46 PDT 2004

I'm leasing a server at sonic. It comes stock with sendmail. It's running
Mandrake 9.2. The server is set up for webmin (a pretty good program for
server control) and I'm reading the docs of it now.

I'm going to be hosting web sites on it and will be handling thier DNS
also. I'd like to be able to set up email services much like on hosting
accounts for most ISPs. I'll need some static local mailboxes that clients
can attach to with outlook or whatever as well as forwarding services:
webmaster at xyz.com, webmaster at zyx.com, ... -> webmaster

Also I'll need to be able to send mail as any one of the domains and
possibly from automated programs on the server.

Anyhow I'm wondering what mail server package is best suited for this or
if all of the will do the trick? Ideas? Opinions? Links to how-tos?
Laughter?

I know that I've dealt with sendmail in the past and found it to be rather
obtuse to get famiar with. I have a program generating nightly emails from
a masqed domain, but I lost hair getting that working correctly.