[NBLUG/talk] (no subject)

A'fish'ionado afishionado1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 11:09:02 PDT 2004

Well, to be honest, having KDE look/feel like Wind0wz
is kind of nice when I have guests/family members
using my computer. I kind of miss being able to launch
the "Start" menu with the "Windows" key, though; I
don't supose there's a keyboard shortcut for the
kicker I don't know about?

Enough hard drive space for Gnome, hmm, I don't know,
I think I've almost used up 10% of my 120G drive with
a SuSE install and a Knoppix install... ;-)

On my laptop (2.2Ghz, 256Mg memory), WM starts in
under a second, which is more than I can say about
Wind0wz XP. :-) (Though somehow XP boots faster than
the Linux kernel; I can't quite figure that out.) I
may still have to check out Fluxbox, though.

Part of the reason I gravitated towards KDE is that it
looked nicer to develop for than Gnome; this is
probably moot, anyway, since about a year ago I pretty
much switched from C++ to Java. Write once run
anywhere is sooo great. :-) Although, it looks like it
might be eaiser than I thought to port applications
back and forth from Linux/Unix to OS X's "Aqua"; if I
can do that, who cares if my programs run under
Wind0wz, anyway... ;-)

=====
(See http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html)