[NBLUG/talk] Fedora Core 2, xmms and volume control

Justin Thiessen thiessen at sonic.net
Mon Jun 7 09:24:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:44:48AM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> This is a petty, but odd, problem.  Every time I boot and go to run
> xmms, I need to go to the volume control and reset the PCM and PCM-2
> levels before I can hear anything.
>
> How come these settings are not being saved between bootings?
>
> Any ideas?

Unless things are radically different from what I'm used to, you need some
sort of small script that runs at startup (from one of the rc scripts) to set
the sound card volume levels.

Something like:

#Initialize default Volume settings
/usr/bin/aumix -d /dev/mixer -v100 -w100 -s100 -p100 -l100 -c100

(nicked shamelessly from
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=98001)

Alternately, you could simply put it in a wrapper for xmms like:

---------
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/aumix -d /dev/mixer -v100 -w100 -s100 -p100 -l100 -c100
xmms &
--------

and call the wrapper script something like "runxmms"

The advantage of this is that you could have wrapper scripts for each of your
sound-producing apps and individual volume settings for each...

Justin