[NBLUG/talk] WiFi revisited

Coy Thorp C.Thorp at mdl.com
Mon Jun 7 11:36:39 PDT 2004

I cannot answer question 1 & 2, but can answer question 3.

Your most secure Wireless implementation, of your choices, would be WPA w/
Radius.  Pre-shared keys are good, but radius requires a username and a
password.  It also depends on what level of WPA you are doing.  WEP
w/dynamic keys?  TKIP?  AES?  I recommend either TKIP or AES, as
man-in-the-middle attacks on WEP are highly successful, and not too
difficult to do.  One other level of authentication is to create certs for
your clients and your wireless devices (highly recommended).  You can do
this with a local cert server (openSSL works great), or you can pay out the
nose for an outside authority.  Your choice. :)