[NBLUG/talk] [cheap] laptops

A'fish'ionado afishionado1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 10:30:56 PDT 2004

Hi!

I'm still looking for a laptop to run Linux on. I've
decided that although I probably *could* afford a
~$1000 laptop, I'm just not comfortable hauling around
something that expensive. So, I'm looking at
used/refurbished laptops online. I'm aiming to spend
under $400, but I could probably stretch that to
$500-600...

I've been hearing (mostly) good things about Dells and
IBM thinkpads in the Linux compatability department,
so that's what I'm looking at now (if anyone wants to
recommend other brands, I'm all ears). If I can find
one with Windows already on it, I'd like to try to
dual-boot it and Linux.

Computergeeks.com and Tigerdirect.com both have nice
selections of Thinkpads (though Tigerdirect doesn't
have anything under $600). The only place I can find
old Dells is eBay.

Anybody want to recommend other places to shop? Anyone
want to recommend specific models to look for (or,
more importantly, specific models to avoid)?

I'll probably use my SuSE 9.0 on it to start with,
though I might avoid KDE. ;-) I'll try WindowMaker or
one of those other fast ones.

I want ethernet on it so I can connect to the school's
network, and would like to buy from someone who can
add a CDRW drive (since I have dialup at home, I want
to use the school's broadband to try downloading some
different Linux isos... hehe). A regular modem to use
at home would be nice, too.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
William