[NBLUG/talk] Installing WiFi cards

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Mon Jun 14 12:51:50 PDT 2004

Mark Street wrote:

>Not to be a party pooper or anything but I run my entire house on wireless
>Linux boxes.  I run various RH boxen RH9 and FC1, Debian with WiFi cards from
>Linksys ver. 3, Netgear PCI, Orinoco Gold with no problems.
>
>Don't give up, DO your homework first, I hear the WPC11 4 with the Realtek
>chip works really well with Linux using the commercial driver from Conextant
>utilizing the doze driver.

Heh...  OK, I confess, even though I've been working on this for over
nine months off and on, I'm still swiming in all the various different
ways one can configure a network.  Back in August when I was trying to
get my WPC11 version 4 to work on a SuSe distribution, I ended up
hitting one roadblock after another.  I'm glad there's a commercial
driver out now - I'll have to look into it.

I think my main problems lie in the fact that 1: I'm still not the best
at configuring Linux, being on the upper edge of the newbie fringe, 2:
I'm using chipsets with various problems (Orinoco Silver, but with an
Atheros chipset?  What a crock!), and 3: I've read so many different
ways to implement Wireless on Linux that I'm not even sure which method
to use.
I've switched distributions several times, all of them with their own
pros and cons, and all of them with different configuration methods (RH
with the Wireless Network configuration tool, SuSe with YAST, Debian
with iwconfig and KiWi, Knoppix with wlcardconfig and linux-wlan,
etc.).  I think I'm going to stick with Debian now that I've got it and
just fight it from there.

Tell me the learning curve gets easier after this...  :)  Thanks for the
suggestions,

A.C.
******