[NBLUG/talk] HP 5200c scanner, Fedora Core 2, 2.6.5 kernel

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Sat Jun 19 07:37:05 PDT 2004

I have a minor follow-up to the following snippet from Mark:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:29:51AM -0700, Mark Street wrote:

> There is an interesting post in the link I mentioned above that manipulates
> the hotplug utility.  It bears mentioning at this point.
>
> >  Additional Comment #19 From W. Michael Petullo  on 2004-05-03 10:23 -------
> >
> > From bug #121893:
> >
> > Hotplug correctly sets the permissions of USB devices (ie:
> > /proc/bus/usb/001/*) when I plug in my digital camera.  Hotplug gives
> > read and write permissions to the console owner.
> >
> > However, the same is not true for scanners.  Since the USB scanner
> > kernel module was dropped some time ago in favor of libusb, scanners
> > should be handled like digital cameras.
> >
> > This is how I got my scanner to work right:
> >
> > I added the following two lines to /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap (copied
> > from /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap -- the map for old kernel modules):
> >
> > # Umax Astra 2200
> > scanner              0x0003 0x1606   0x0230    0x0000       0x0000
> >    0x00       0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00
> >         0x00       0x00000000
> >
> > Then I copied /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to /etc/hotplug/scanner and
> > modified the script to reference scanners instead of cameras (actually
> > a slight modification of the same script could probably be used in
> > both cases).

It turns out that there was already a scanner script in /etc/hotplug
called libusbscanner.  It is practically identical to the camera
script.  So I tried editing the line in usb.usermap to reference the
libusbscanner, not one called 'scanner'.  Still doesn't work, though.

I'm still working on it.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley