[NBLUG/talk] Redundant DNS

The Micxz an_email at micxz.com
Thu Mar 11 00:41:00 PST 2004

How about the cheap IP takeover trick?

#!/bin/bash
OTHER="brain"
PUBLIC="208.201.239.37"

PAUSE=3

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
MISSED=0

while true; do
   if ! ping -c 1 -w 1 $OTHER > /dev/null; then
     ((MISSED++))
   else
     if [ $MISSED -gt 2 ]; then
       ifconfig eth0:$OTHER down
     fi
     MISSED=0
   fi;

   if [ $MISSED -eq 2 ]; then
     ifconfig eth0:$OTHER $PUBLIC
   fi
   sleep $PAUSE;
done

This running on both sides should do it. But be sure to read hack #63 on
this one because the router just upstream is caching the wrong MAC
address for this IP so you have to use a tool like send_arp on your
local network'

Dustin Mollo wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:24:28AM -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone set up something like
>>this? I have basic access to the Zone file, but I can't configure the DNS
>>server.
>

> i know what you are talking about, but i am not aware of any way to do this
> with simply DNS.  you'd need a load balancing device of some sort (either a
> linux/unix/etc server or an appliance that does this.)  DNS doesn't know the
> status of a given machine in it's zone files - that's where the load
> balancer comes in.  it can do health checks and direct tcp/udp/etc requests
> to a host that is able to serve the connection.
>
> -dustin

Micxz