[NBLUG/talk] Need some help with XWindows

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Fri Mar 12 09:54:00 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 05:42:26AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> Troy -
>
> That did it!

Cool, glad that worked.

> Can't all files in /tmp be deleted without a negative impact?

Almost all, though you'd want to use some caution about *when* you
remove anything.  The distribution scripts work by deleting only that
stuff that hasn't been accessed in X number of days. You wouldn't want
to wipe out the orbit-user or gconf-user dirs while user is using X.
lost+found should be left alone, as should some stuff dealing with
quotas (looking at Debian's bootclean script here)

> I thought I read somewhere that some implmentations of Unix delete all
> files in /tmp via a crontab.  Could that be true?

I'd say most of them probably do.  Sometimes it's an extra package you
need to install, (Redhat's was or is called tmpwatch IIRC) and sometimes you
need to activate it by setting a value in /etc/default/ ( or somewhere
else)

-troy