[NBLUG/talk] IP Host # as Host ID

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Mon Mar 15 06:15:01 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:39:04PM -0800, HarryH wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed on my RH 7.2 that from time to time, if I go into
> super user mode ( su - and then password), the host IP number
> from my ISP shows up in place of server03, which is my Linux box Hostname:
>
> [root at host-66-81-144-198 home]#
>
> When I exit back to my user login, I get: [Harry at server03 Harry]$.
> This happens when the modem is connected to my ISP.  Noticed this
> some time ago but thought it a "fluke" but now it must be a bug or
> an intruder.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Hey, Harry:

I just yesterday morning fixed what might be the same problem on my
box.  When I got DSL from sonic, my nice, one word hostname was
transformed into a distasteful, full IP address. My problem was not
user-specific though, so you might have another problem.

I solved my problem by editing /etc/hosts.  I call my computer
'jupiter', and to fix the problem I just had to add a line to the
file, under 'Local hostnames and addresses' matching my static IP
address with the hostname 'jupiter'.  You'd add this line:

66.81.144.198	   server03.[localNetworkname]	    server03

In my case, I have a static IP address, and my machine would adopt
that number as it's IP address (even though it had another IP address
as part of my home network).  With that line your computer should
display 'server03' when it is using 66.81.144.198 as your IP address.

My knowledge of networking is VERY sketchy, so I might be completely
wrong here. Also, I am assuming that you have a static IP address, and
not a dynamic IP address (which will change every time you log into
your ISP's network).  If you have a dynamic IP address, then you can't
edit /etc/hosts as I suggest.

Hope this is helpful.

-dave.