[NBLUG/talk] Boot loader

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Mar 19 10:16:01 PST 2004

You didn't lose the boot loader, you just misplaced it.  We don't know what
your expression "I edited the bootloader with seemingly all combinations"
means.  I sure would like to see your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.  But here
goes....

1.  Boot from your floppy into Red Hat.
2.  From a root shell run:  grub-install /dev/hda
3.  Observe the output by grub for any errors or warnings.
4.  Make sure you have an entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf for XP.  Something
like mine (your partition number may vary, hd0 is the first IDE drive, 1 is
the second partition on the drive, grub starts with 0 for the first
partition):
------------------------------------
title UNLinux
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1
------------------------------------
5.  Most RPM kernels from Red Hat will place an entry into the grub boot
loader config file.  See if that is the case with yours.  If not, add an
entry for your favorite kernel.

6.  Reboot.  Have Fun

On Friday 19 March 2004 09:33 am, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> I have not been able to effect the boot loader.
>
> Another question;
>
> Since I reinstalled, the system boots (with a floppy) into an older kernel.
> A newer kernel, 2.4.20-30.9, is installed. How do I get the system to boot
> into this kernel? How do I make a boot disk to boot into the newer kernel?
>
> Thanks, Ian
>
> At 02:04 PM 3/16/2004, you wrote:
> >[ moderator, ignore my message with the fsked up From: header -- time to
> >fix my mutt send/folder-hooks ]
> >
> >On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:41:11PM -0800, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> > > I have lost the boot loader for Linux (Red Hat 9) and DOS (Win XP). I
> > > upgraded Red Hat 9 and edited the Boot Loader with seemingly all the
> > > combinations and the computer continues to boot into Windows no sign of
> > > Red Hat.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> >
> >Did you let RedHat write to the MBR (Master Boot Record) ?
> >If so, then the only thing I can think of that might prevent that
> >happening is if your BIOS has some sort of anti-virus MBR protection
> >enabled.
> >
> >As an aside, if this happens to anyone else, you certainly don't need
> >to reinstall.  Just grab a copy of some bootable run-from-the-cd
> >distribution and use it to write a new MBR.  Maybe someone else will
> >suggest a good one -- I happen to use a Debian Woody installer which,
> >although limited, does the trick.  I also keep a copy of Linux BBC
> >(Bootable Business Card) around, but I never use it.
> >
> >-troy

> Ian Sutherland
> 2 varda Street
> Rohnert Park, CA 94928