[NBLUG/talk] Linux newbie needs help installing NIC module

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sat Mar 20 15:59:00 PST 2004

I have the Broadcomm 4401 100M NIC in my Inspiron 5100.

I run a later 2.4.22 kernel on my Insprion 5100, the module is now part of the
stock kernel from Red Hat - b44.o

kernel config option on my 2.4.22 - CONFIG_B44=m
This is also the case for the 2.6.3 kernels I have built.

I used to have to compile the module for each kernel.  I still have the 3.0.7
source code release for the Broadcom 4401.  I may still have the source for
the older 2.0.5 driver, which may work with the 2.4.18 kernels.

Make sure you have your kernel source code located in /usr/src/linux or the
module will not compile.  If you have no luck with their latest driver I
would probably recommend building a newer kernel and go with that.  I did
have some problems getting their driver to compile sometimes as I used to
build rpms out of their source.  I was glad when they integrated the driver
into the kernel.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer