[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat 8- too slow

John J. Nouveaux john at nouveaux-solutions.com
Sun Mar 28 09:29:01 PST 2004

At 8:49 AM -0800 3/28/04, Aman wrote:
>I am a real newbie to Linux. I am running Red Hat 8 on an old
>computer ( an hp pavillion w/ pentium 232, 160 MB of SDRAM,  and a
>really old ATI card). Linux is running really slow, opening Open
>Office.org takes around 5 minutes.I tried running the 'top' command.

OpenOffice isn't exactly a speed burner even on more current systems.
(It takes the better part of a minute to start up on my G4 1.33GHz
PowerBook.) :^(

Your best bet is to add more RAM.

Startup will still take a while, but it should be a bit snappier
after that. YMMV.

john
--

John J. Nouveaux        Partner, Nouveaux Solutions
904 Shady Oak Drive     (707) 538-1987
Santa Rosa, CA 95404    mailto:john at nouveaux-solutions.com

Macintosh Consulting
SCSA, ACHDS, ACN Member, NCMUG Board of Directors
=====

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. But you are eternity
and you are the mirror.
     Gibran