[NBLUG/talk] oops...help me!!

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 2 23:05:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Meg Holden wrote:
> Hey all...
> I installed Debian on my laptop a few months ago and the kernel it came
> with was 2.2.20.  Tried updating it to 2.6.3 and couldn't get it to
> work.  I did save 2.20 and was able to boot into it just fine.  I tried
> again to install the new kernel, and didn't think that I'd need to save
> my old one again.  aparently I did.  Now I have the same problem whe I
> try to boot either one I get an error message that says VFS:Annot Open
> root device "303" or 03:03
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unabel to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> I can boot with a boot disk, but I can't figure out how to solve this
> problem, ot at least get my old kernel version back...any ideas.

What kind of controller does the hard disk use?  Maybe it's an obscure
chipset that the stock kernel does not contain by default.

If that is the case, and you can identify the chipset, your best bet
would be to try to compile your own kernel, adding the code for your
hard disk controller directly to the kernel (not as a module).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac; you can always take something for it.