[NBLUG/talk] Volume control failure

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 5 15:29:32 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 14:20, Mark Street wrote:
> Looks similar to my MythTV box running alsa-oss.
>
> Have you tried alsamixer and/or gnome-alsamixer.  I have to reset mine from
> time to time on the Myth box.
>
> Since you rarely use sound this give you something to do while you are
> listening to a CD ; )

I guess that knowing that I just got around to trying this gives you an
idea of how rarely I use sound...

Anyway, I tried experimenting with gnome-alsamixer while playing an MP3
file through XMMS, and it seemed that the "Wave Surround" control was
the only one that affected the volume.  And I seem to recall that most
OSS applications use either the "PCM" control or the "Master" control
(the only two that really mattered in the days of OSS), and neither of
them seem to have any effect on volume.

I switched XMMS from using the OSS output to ALSA output, and I was able
to tell it to use the "Wave Surround" volume control.  It seems to work,
but I still wonder why none of the other controls seem to have any
effect.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of new developments.