[NBLUG/talk] kernel modules.

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Wed May 26 10:17:42 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:38:09AM -0700, Mark Street wrote:
> On a stock RH box pcmcia comes up at S24, networking comes up at S10... so you
> see a gap there between the two, we have 5 or so services starting up
> in between the two we want.
>
> No problem.  Let's start pcmcia prior to networking coming up.... say S8 or
> so.

This is exactly what I did after I posted my kludge.. I knew
what I did was not the 'proper' way to do it, and I also probably left out
that I was working on it at 3am, and it was the logical fix at the
moment lol..  After posting another nblug'er posted about the start order,
so I changed my S24pcmcia to S09pcmcia and removed my script from S99local
and now the laptop works perfect.  only 1 failed service on startup, and
thats smartd, which I suspect my laptop doesnt support, so next I will
remove it.

> You have two choices, either change the symbolic link in your runlevel
> directories from an S24 to an S8 OR edit the init script for pcmcia... there
> is a commented sequence of numbers at the top of each init script
> in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ , if you take peek you will see a sequence like so...
> note the chkconfig line.
>
> # rc.pcmcia 1.39 2001/10/04 12:30:05 (David Hinds)
> #
> # This is designed to work in BSD as well as SysV init setups.  See
> # the HOWTO for customization instructions.
> # Tags for Red Hat init configuration tools
> #
> # chkconfig: 2345 24 96
>
> This tells the chkconfig command to turn pcmcia on at S24 in runlevels 2345
> and turn it off at K96 in runlevels 0 and 6.  Change the 24 to an 8 or
> whatever you choose.  YES, chkconfig looks to this line when you use the
> command from the command line.
>
> Then re-run chkconfig on pcmcia;
>
> chkconfig pcmcia off
> chkconfgi pcmcia on
>
> boom, next time the machine comes up pcmcia services comes up before
> networking comes up.

I've never used chkconfig.. Interesting.. I will go edit this next
time I boot up the laptop =)  Thanks.

-Steve

--
----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."