[NBLUG/talk] Memory

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Wed May 26 23:13:45 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:31:12PM -0700, Micxz wrote:

> So things are feeling way faster now. But should I listen to the bios or
> linux (free)? I like to think I have 512MB RAM lol. What commands and/or
> apps are there to really confirm this?

If free says you have 128MB, then that's all the OS can see.  You can
cat /proc/meminfo for a little more info, but it will tell you the same
thing since that what the free command does internally anyhow.

Try passing the amount of memory to the kernel at boot.
In lilo you'd add an append line:
append = "mem=480M"

With grub you can enter the mem= stuff in at boot time, hard
coding it when you get the numbers right.  Hope that works for you; I
haven't needed to specify the RAM by hand in a loooong time.

-troy