[NBLUG/talk] installation of cd-rw drive on red hat 8

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Fri May 28 17:29:12 PDT 2004

For the most part yes.... the drive will automatically be detected.  However
if you want it to operate as a CD burner you must tell the kernel to use the
SCSI emulation layer.

Depending on where you put the CD drive on your system you must edit your boot
loader, add the following line;

hd#=ide-scsi

NOTE  - the # represents the device that your CD represents, hdb, hdc, hdd,
etc.
here is an exmple of the entire line from one of my boot loaders,

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9 ro root=/dev/hda1 hdc=ide-scsi

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com