[NBLUG/talk] Adding a used second HDD

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Nov 17 11:39:54 PST 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 11:28 AM, Robert Hayes wrote:
> I changed the mount to rw, but I still can't take ownership or change
> properties of the files.
>
> As root, I open /dev/hdd. All the files are owned by root.
>
> I attempt to change the ownership or permissions and get the following
> result:
>
> Could not modify the ownership of file /scratch/filename.txt.
> You have insufficient access to the file to perform the change.

Oh... well that explains it.

FAT filesystems don't have any idea about ownership or permissions,
having been designed for a non-networked, single-user computer
system... so the linux driver for FAT (and vfat, and fat32, etc.) just
simulates it by giving all files the same ownership and permissions.
That's what the other options people mentioned were for.

mount -t vfat -o rw,uid=bob,gid=bob,umask=022 /dev/hdd1 /scratch

that will mount the volume with all files owned by user 'bob', (owned
by group 'bob' too.. that's gid), and set to permissions -rwxr-xr-x
(the umask is an inverse of the permissions.)

   -- Mitch