[NBLUG/talk] Fw: CompUSA Sale

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Wed Nov 24 11:22:51 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 06:20:04PM -0800, Justin Thiessen wrote:
> Heck, set out a hat at meetings, let it be known that we need a new hard
> drive, and I bet you could get the $$$ within a month or two.

actually, at a past meeting we (i) announced our intention to purchase a
hard drive should we get enough donations.  in order to find out if this was
going to be something feasible, i asked anyone who might be interested in
donating money towards such a cause to send me an email.  i got one response
(thanks, steve!) from the 20 or 25 people who were at the meeting.  rather
dismal, if you ask me.  i never bothered following up on the talk list
because of the extreme low interest.

perhaps that was a mistake.  perhaps there are more people involved with the
group on the mailing list, who don't attend meetings, who would be
interested in the drive (and hence the mirrors) the money would provide.

what say you, nblug'ers?  if you're interested in donating some money
towards a hard drive (of at least 150GB) purchase for the nblug mirrors,
drop an email to donations at nblug.org with the phrase "mirror disk" in the
subject.  all i'm looking for right now are commitments to donate, not
donations.  it's not worth collecting 25% of the money only to discover that
we're never going to see the other 75%.

oh...some conditions of the drive purchase i'd like to try to stick to as
much as possible:

* the drive should be able to be purchased in sonoma county at a
brick-and-mortar store.  the purchase should be made with the cash
collected.

* the drive we buy needs to be able to be *purchased* for the amount of
money we take in from donations.  in other words, if we collect $125, we
need to be able to go to the store and plunk down that money and walk out
with a drive.  a drive that is $125 "after rebates" is not an option.
unless of course some kind benefactor is nice enough to make up the
difference and let nblug keep the money we get back after the rebates in
nblug's pocket.

* nblug is not an official 503(c)(3) corp.  in that light, you can't write
off any money you donate to us (so far as my reading has lead me to believe,
of course...YMMV.)

-dustin

--
NBLUG Founder and Incumbent Treasurer