[NBLUG/talk] Fw: CompUSA Sale

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:59:39 PST 2004

Just an Idea, that might make donations easier, how about a nblug
paypal account? with a DONATE NOW button on the web site?

Just keep in mind, paypal would take a small cut, it's not much.

-Steve

P.S. Dustin, I sent you my 'donation pledge' =)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:22:51 -0800, Dustin Mollo <dustin at sonic.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 06:20:04PM -0800, Justin Thiessen wrote:
> > Heck, set out a hat at meetings, let it be known that we need a new hard
> > drive, and I bet you could get the $$$ within a month or two.
>
> actually, at a past meeting we (i) announced our intention to purchase a
> hard drive should we get enough donations.  in order to find out if this was
> going to be something feasible, i asked anyone who might be interested in
> donating money towards such a cause to send me an email.  i got one response
> (thanks, steve!) from the 20 or 25 people who were at the meeting.  rather
> dismal, if you ask me.  i never bothered following up on the talk list
> because of the extreme low interest.
>
> perhaps that was a mistake.  perhaps there are more people involved with the
> group on the mailing list, who don't attend meetings, who would be
> interested in the drive (and hence the mirrors) the money would provide.
>
> what say you, nblug'ers?  if you're interested in donating some money
> towards a hard drive (of at least 150GB) purchase for the nblug mirrors,
> drop an email to donations at nblug.org with the phrase "mirror disk" in the
> subject.  all i'm looking for right now are commitments to donate, not
> donations.  it's not worth collecting 25% of the money only to discover that
> we're never going to see the other 75%.
>
> oh...some conditions of the drive purchase i'd like to try to stick to as
> much as possible:
>
> * the drive should be able to be purchased in sonoma county at a
> brick-and-mortar store.  the purchase should be made with the cash
> collected.
>
> * the drive we buy needs to be able to be *purchased* for the amount of
> money we take in from donations.  in other words, if we collect $125, we
> need to be able to go to the store and plunk down that money and walk out
> with a drive.  a drive that is $125 "after rebates" is not an option.
> unless of course some kind benefactor is nice enough to make up the
> difference and let nblug keep the money we get back after the rebates in
> nblug's pocket.
>
> * nblug is not an official 503(c)(3) corp.  in that light, you can't write
> off any money you donate to us (so far as my reading has lead me to believe,
> of course...YMMV.)
>
> -dustin
>
> --
> NBLUG Founder and Incumbent Treasurer

      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu
|C8H10N4O2|