[NBLUG/talk] ubuntu Linux DIstro - Debian based

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Thu Nov 25 10:18:04 PST 2004

I spent less than an hour this morning exploring the Warty Warthog release
of Ubuntu Linux.

Nice short and sweet deb installer.
Recognized all my hardware - fairly new stuff including the Dell Flat
panel DVI and nVidia card, even the onboard sound on the ASUS P4P800.
Picked up my wireless PCI card, Netgear Prism Chipset and set it up on
intstall, as well as the onboard 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940).  Didn't pick up
the  WinTV PVR 250... oh well, can't have everything.

New 2.6 kernel with a Gnome 2.8 complete workstation desktop default
install from 1 CD.

Recognized the XP partition I had on the drive and set it up in grub.

Synaptic is running right now bringing it up to date.

Nice piece of work.  Check it out.