[NBLUG/talk] ubuntu Linux DIstro - Debian based

Bryce Hardy cygnia at sonic.net
Thu Nov 25 12:41:18 PST 2004

On 11/25/2004 10:18 AM, Mark Street wrote:

> I spent less than an hour this morning exploring the Warty Warthog release
> of Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Nice short and sweet deb installer.
> Recognized all my hardware - fairly new stuff including the Dell Flat
> panel DVI and nVidia card, even the onboard sound on the ASUS P4P800.
> Picked up my wireless PCI card, Netgear Prism Chipset and set it up on
> intstall, as well as the onboard 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940).  Didn't pick up
> the  WinTV PVR 250... oh well, can't have everything.
>
> New 2.6 kernel with a Gnome 2.8 complete workstation desktop default
> install from 1 CD.
>
> Recognized the XP partition I had on the drive and set it up in grub.
>
> Synaptic is running right now bringing it up to date.
>
> Nice piece of work.  Check it out.

I second that. Been running Warty since it's release on my AMD64 system
and very happy. And the best part by far is the absolutely unparalleled
community support. The phrase "RTFM" is (informally) banned from both
the lists and the web forums. This is definately the next step for linux
   for regular people.

--
Bryce Hardy (Santa Rosa, CA USA)