[NBLUG/talk] Ascii DVD players?

rob orsini at sonic.net
Sat Oct 2 14:09:34 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 11:41, troy wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:16:49AM -0700, rob wrote:
> >
> > Troy, can you point me to the 'pre-built' mplayer debs you use?
>

> You bet! (other good stuff there as well)
>
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main
>
> You'll want to grab the one for your architecture, like mplayer-686 or
> mplayer-k7.
>
> While I'm at it, here's my new favorite audio player/organizer:
> http://amarok.kde.org/
>
> deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ unstable main
>
> I like amarok, because finding music in a large collection is fast and
> TMTOWTDI.  The latest version also supports auto-learning of your listening
> habits ala xmms/imms.  Nice hotkey and dcop support, etc., etc...
>
> I consider this to be the holy grail of audio playing apps, and I've tried
> 'em all!

K, so I grabbed all that and fired up Mplayer.

  %> mplayer dvd://1

Nothing played and I was prompted to read this:

  "/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/README.Debian"

which tells me to run this:

  "/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh"

I did. and tried again:

  %> mplayer dvd://1

  and I get this:
  Playing dvd://1.
  libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
  Reading disc structure, please wait...
  libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
  Can't open VMG info!

  Exiting... (End of file)

So, I stop to think. ;) Grepping dmesg showed that I do in fact have a
DVD reader. But...

  %> sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdc

  /dev/hdc:

  ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
        Model Number:       ATAPI CD-ROM MAX 54X
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  Ver1.32V
  Standards:
        Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
        Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
  Configuration:
        DRQ response: 50us.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
  Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=150ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=227ns  IORDY flow
control=120ns

Stuck. Ideas?